What We’re Reading: July 1 Edition
Happy July! This July 1 post is our latest installment of our weekly roundup of the must-read articles and advice on business, consulting, recruiting and jobs that we at Raines International are reading. Send articles you think we should feature to email@example.com. Read our last installment.
1. Michael Birshan, a Partner at McKinsey & Company, offered advice for CEOs in a recent LinkedIn article. After studying data on 600 CEOs’ first two years, he found “New CEOs should: make big, decisive moves quickly; and adopt an outsider’s perspective when they evaluate the business, whether they themselves come from within or outside the company.” Read “Lessons for new CEOs: Go big, go fast, or go home”
2. Fortune released its second annual list of the best workplaces for millennials after surveying 88,000 employees. Head over to Fortune’s website to check out the full list and filter for various industries, but for a quick list, here’s the top 10 companies: Elite SEM, Quicken Loans, Kimley-Horn, Point B, Ultimate Software, Power Home Remodeling Group, Workday, World Wide Technology, Acuity Insurance and RevZilla. Read “100 Best Workplaces for Millenials”
3. The Wall Street Journal’s Nathalie Tadena reported on the lack of diversity in the advertising world. “In the wake of sexism and racism scandals at major advertising companies in recent years, firms seem to be more aware than ever of the need to address the problem and move past the ‘Mad Men’ days,” Tadena explains. “Multiple panels at Cannes focused on gender equality and sexist advertising, and companies have renewed their commitments to inclusion programs and better hiring practices.” Read “Madison Avenue’s Struggles with Diversity were on Full Display at Cannes.”
4. David Stuart and Todd Nordstrom highlighted four important personal qualities leaders should practice more — listening, nonverbal communication, dealing with change, and saying thank you. The pair’s Forbes article reminds, “Hard skills might be what get you the job—but soft skills are what drive friendship, success and happiness at work.” Read “4 Soft Skills You Need to Work On and Why“
5. And at Raines Intel, we published two articles this week on diversity that include insights from Raines International Managing Directors Josh Zigman and Markos Moya. Read “How 4 Companies are Advocating Diversity & Inclusion” and “Diversity Push: Black Girls Code Gets NYC Office.”
Did we miss any must read articles? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @rainesintl