About Bruce Raines
Since establishing Raines International, Bruce has built one of the country’s preeminent retained executive search firms and has become recognized as an industry leader. As such, he was recognized by the Association of Executive Search Consultants in 2018 for his contributions to the profession and community as the recipient of the organization’s 2018 Lifetime Achievement Award. He began the firm with a specific focus on executive search within the finance function, and has since evolved and expanded the company’s areas of expertise, breadth, and scope to include senior management positions across industries and functions.
Industry and Consulting Experience
- Bruce’s personal assignments have included all areas of general management, finance, strategy, marketing and sales, M&A / integration, and related functions. He has successfully recruited Chief Executive Officers and Chief Operating Officers, as well as other “C-Suite” executives and their direct reports for global, publicly held organizations, major financial institutions and private equity firms, not-for-profits, and a select group of smaller privately held companies.
- Bruce serves as the company’s practice leader for all senior-level general management searches. He also conceived, developed, and leads the company’s Strategy & Corporate Development Practice, which specializes in identifying and recruiting the “next generation” of senior executives from management consulting firms and their alumni.
- Bruce has served as a trusted business adviser to both established and startup companies throughout his career and he has provided invaluable counsel to hundreds of executives on their paths to the C-Suite.
- He has written and lectured on a variety of management and executive search topics within business and academia and advises Cornell University and the AESC on the development of curriculum for courses on the executive search industry and best practices.
Education & Credentials
- B.S., Finance & Accounting, Syracuse University
- Bruce is the firm’s primary representative in the Association of Executive Search Consultants (AESC) and remains committed to the advancement of the executive search industry. He was honored as the recipient the organization’s 2018 Lifetime Achievement Award.
- He is personally affiliated with the International Association for Corporate & Professional Recruitment (IACPR) and was selected to serve as the Chairperson for the Association’s Silver Anniversary Conference in 2003.
Articles by Bruce
From Management Consulting to CEO: The Fork in the Road
By Bruce Raines | April 2012 “The Program” You’ve done the easy part! You went through “The Program.” This is the… You must be a ConsultantTrack user to view this page. Click here to apply.
Road Map to CEO
The real world is something he has learned to negotiate with remarkable success. Gary Matthews, Managing Director and Operating Partner at Morgan Stanley Private Equity, sat down with us to talk about his consulting experience at McKinsey, the pitfalls of moving into corporate management, and the keys to his post-consulting rise to CEO and beyond.
Retire Before Forty
By Bruce Raines John Wilen (ex-Bain), Former Corporate Vice President of Strategic Planning, PepsiCo, Inc. Worldwide Snacks: When he graduated from Dartmouth in 1980, John Wilen set a most improbable goal for himself: retire by age 40. Wilen, however, would miss the mark by two years. He retired at 38. John Wilen was a deft […]
Should You Take an Overseas Job Assignment?
Hands-on international experience can be a great career booster. Start your overseas gig with your eyes wide open to take the most advantage, while also avoiding the pitfalls.